Monday, June 09, 2008

Death

Anyone who had a pet growing up eventually learns about death. I, however, never had a pet, so I remain rather unaware. Don't get me wrong: I can understand why things die after serious injury, or illness. Even dying simply from old age makes sense. But I'm confused: why do young, seemingly healthy computers die?

My laptop, may it rest in peace, was not old (two years and two months -- meaning it was two months out of warranty, obviously). It was not dropped. Indeed, the first time it died, it did so while sitting quietly at my desk. Nothing was happening. I was not even in the room. It briefly resurrected itself, only to die again three days later while I was doing nothing more than typing.

What could cause a computer to suddenly experience a massive hardware failure just from sitting there?

Oh, cruel and capricious God....

No comments: