Thursday, March 17, 2011

Living Like a Prof Star

I spent the day in Champaign today, visiting the University of Illinois (and my to-be apartment) for the first time. It was great. I got picked up by the Associate Dean in his BMW convertible, taken out to lunch, shown around the school, showered with Cristal (okay, not that last part). And everyone was really nice. The overall effect was to sort of hit home that yes, this is actually happening. And that's very exciting!

Unfortunately, my train back isn't for another three hours, so I'm hanging at a coffee shop to kill time until I go back to the train station (I may stop for a bite to eat first). Nothing to do but browse the internet and sip hot chocolate.

Wait a minute -- what's "unfortunate" about that?

3 comments:

dcase said...

As a UI at Urbana-Champaign Ph.D. alum, a soon to be faculty member at UI at Chicago in August, and somebody who spent a good portion of his first year in grad school studying in the law library at U of I, I'm happy to say welcome to the University of Illinois. Urbana-Champaign is actually a decent place.

Nick said...

The adult-ness of all of this terrifies me greatly, but is quite incredible. Congratulations to you on this.

troll_dc2 said...

Congratulations on your good fortune. May I suggest that, in the future, you carry around with you reading material tht would allow you to turn any down time into an undistracted intellectual adventure? I have always have stuff to read, just in case; I also find waiting to be a great time to get some of my writing done (but, then, I do a lot of it by hand, and I always carry a pad around).