Monday, December 10, 2007

Verbing Weirds Language

As a devoted Calvin & Hobbes fan, this might be the greatest thing I've ever seen. First the relevant C & H strip:
Calvin: I like to verb words.

Hobbes: What?

Calvin: I take nouns and adjectives and use them as verbs. Remember when "access" was a thing? Now, it's something you do. It got verbed. Verbing weirds language.

Hobbes: Maybe we can eventually make language a complete impediment to understanding.

And then the quote it inspired:
"First they came for the verbs, and I said nothing because verbing weirds language. Then they arrival for the nouns, and I speech nothing because I no verbs." -- Peter Ellis.

Brilliance.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

This is one of my favourite Calvin and Hobbes strips. It encompasses everything about the philosophy that language is not a static thing. Yes, Watterson is a genius.