Wednesday, February 17, 2010

February Blues Roundup

I've been feeling very tired these past few weeks -- both physically and academically. Someone said I had the "February blues", which depresses me (paradox!) because I like February. I find winter to be a beautiful season, and February contains my birthday.

Anyway, I think I might be snapping out of it a little. So that's good.

* * *

Write your very own incendiary blog post

Is Citizens United the perfect wedge issue for Democrats? Answer: Only if they can muster the balls to really take on corporate power.

More race-baiting in the 9th congressional district. Fortunately, this electorate in this district has proven itself against these sorts of campaign tactics -- though Cohen's opponent poses easily the toughest challenge of his congressional career.

New Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell (R) reverses non-discrimination protections for gay state workers.

Fortunately, the American people are moving in the right direction on gay rights.

And the Jewish Council on Public Affairs is also set to endorse DADT repeal.

Arizona's proposed rule barring all use of foreign or religious law in state court adjudication is unbelievably stupid.

Jon Chait eviscerates the principle-less Harold Ford.

What drives the tea party movement? The fact that affluent conservative White men don't like President Obama or his policies. Wow -- shocking political development.

Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-UT): 9/11 troofer?

5 comments:

PG said...

Re: the Cohen-Herenton race, I look at that picture and think, "The problem is that it includes a crazy woman named Marsha Blackburn, and that's probably only possible because of how oddly the 7th and 9th districts were drawn; make them contiguous and compact, and that would probably be either Democratic like the rest of western TN, or at least represented by a sane Republican. Oh, and speaking of women, do they only make up 11% of your state?"

PG said...

Also, I'm surprised that tea party folks are only 80% white. Maybe it's only the white ones who can afford to attend the conventions and such.

David Schraub said...

I wonder how many of the remaining 20% are "1/8 Cherokee" (and thus can't be racist!)?

joe said...

I've concluded the Tea Party movement is the right-wing counterpart to the dumbest of the leftist counterculture stuff to spring out of the 60s. Granted they are obviously a much more top-down organization (astroturfed by conservative think tanks, FOX, etc.), that's natural for conservatism... in fact, Newt Gingrich was a big advocate of structuring the American right parallel to militant leftists IIRC.

joe said...

And what strikes me about those Tea Party college attendance rates is that it really makes me question the value of higher education. [/snark]