Friday, April 03, 2009

Breaking: Iowa Supreme Court Unanimously Strikes Down Gay Marriage Ban

Here's a PDF of the opinion, which just came down. I'm not sure which is more surprising: that it was Iowa, or that the opinion was unanimous. Pam has snippets. I, personally, can't wait for Rep. Steve King's (R-IA) reaction, which I'm sure will be priceless. I'll have more commentary later in the day -- I'm particularly pleased to see that the Iowa court recognized that laws which discriminate against gay and lesbian persons should be met with, at the very least, heightened scrutiny.

But seriously -- congratulations to Iowa for this great step forward towards equality, and to the gay, lesbian, and straight citizens of that state.

4 comments:

Matthew said...

I'm not sure which is more surprising: that it was Iowa, or that the opinion was unanimous.

I'm more shocked that there aren't current plans for a motion challenging the verdict. I doubt a rehearing would be effective at all - unanimous decision from a panel of judges is pretty telling. Yet for an issue that is overwhelmingly divisive, the lack of a continued assault is astounding.

That being said: finally, the Midwest - or at least part of it - decide to join the 21st century.

Thomas said...

Page 7 of the opinion references the Iowa state motto, “Our liberties we prize and our rights we will maintain.” I interpret this opinion as a shot back in response to your awarding of this motto a C grade.

David Schraub said...

Yeah, I thought of that too!

Pope Incontinentius XIII said...

As the son of an Iowan, I had a "WTF?!" moment when I saw the news in one of my RSS feeds. The excellent thing is that unlike in California, it can't be overturned at the earliest opportunity. There's this great little law in Iowa that requires that any constitutional amendment be passed in two separate sessions before it can be voted on by the people. That means that it will stand until at least 2012, if not longer.

Also: Ha, take that, California!