Monday, January 22, 2007

Funny Pages

I just received and quickly devoured The Book of Ratings. Basically, TBoR takes a topic (say, breakfast cereal), trots out five or so examples, gives a brief evaluation, and then gives each a grade, from A+ to F (he's only given one "F" though--Scrappy Doo). It's delightfully amazing. There's an online version too, which you should only read if you have seven hours of spare time and no shame at giggling like a toddler with gas.

Anyway, aside from missionizing for one of my favorite humor sources (it's so rare Jews get to evangelize, so I try to seize the opportunity whenever I can), I wanted to make a note about two different forms of humor, and whether other people have a preference between them. On the one hand, you have "I was thinking the exact same thing!" Example: Garlic on pizza is infinitely recursive, there is no amount of garlic you can add such that more garlic wouldn't make it better. On the other hand, you have "I never thought of it that way before!" Example: Objectively speaking, The Wizard of Oz should have turned into cinema's first slasher flick the moment the Tin Man realized he had an ax and Dorothy had a heart.

I personally like both. Is anything revealed here, other than that I have a twisted personality?

2 comments:

Stentor said...

As a longtime Lore Sjoberg fan, I'm highly amused at seeing his website described as an "online version" of his book.

David Schraub said...

True. The website long predates the book (and I read the site long before I acquired the book).