Saturday, March 03, 2007

Musical Interlude

March goes in like a lion....

Carleton got decked with a massive snowstorm March 1st. Last night, the Hindu and Jewish students at Carleton had a joint celebration of Holi and Purim. Holi, we were told, was in part a celebration of spring and renewal. After glancing out at the icicle covered trees and snow capped fields, the speaker dryly remarked that it was also a festival of hope.

We also had the Carleton DVDfest--a three hour marathon of DVD shorts. Some of them are good, most of them...aren't. But the winner, The Brewmaster's Tale, is sheer gold. Anybody who is even vaguely a fan of the Lord of the Rings soundtrack needs to watch.

Finally, I wish to inform all the folks who assisted in my birthday music bleg the results thus far. I went through Austin Roth's recommendations, and purchased albums by Kill Hannah, Thursday, Damone, and Lacuna Coil. In addition, I got "Vitamin R" by Chevelle, which is an excellent song even though I don't normally like the band that much.

My friend Matt made me a mix CD with a smattering of songs by Saosin, Thrice, Alkaline Trio, Brand New, Glassjaw, and Finch. I also acquired a variety of songs by Avenged Sevenfold, Disturbed, Dragonforce, Fall Out Boy, Staind, Story of the Year, System of a Down, and Three Days Grace.

I won't pretend I've come close to listenin to all or even most of this music. Indeed, Kill Hannah (the first I got) is the only one I've really listened to in depth (it's pretty good, but a bit too much like The Killers for my tastes).

But I now have plenty of new stuff on my iTunes, and for that I am grateful.

No comments: