Wednesday, July 04, 2007

That's Just The Scotch Talking

Kevin Andre Elliot of Slant Truth has given me a "Thinking Blogger" award--simply put, a list of five blogs that make him think. The five people then give their own list of five blogs, and so the meme progresses. How I made it on Kevin's list remains somewhat of a mystery, though I think the scotch he admits to imbibing plays a large role. In any event, I am most flattered and honored, and am pleased to push the meme forward to a new generation.

First off, the rules:

1. If, and only if, you get tagged, write a post with links to 5 blogs that make you think,
2. Link to this post so that people can easily find the exact origin of the meme,
3. Optional: Proudly display the ‘Thinking Blogger Award’ with a link to the post that you wrote (There is an alternative silver version if gold doesn’t fit your blog).

Okay, now, the blogs.

1) Let's start with the newest edition to my blogroll: Harry's Place. Normally, I'd wait a bit longer and read a bit more before bestowing such an honor--but then, few blogs have by themselves inspired an entire mood swing in me. For that, I thank them.

2) Obsidian Wings. I'm fortunate that Publius has moved here from his old haunt, otherwise I'd have to use two spots instead of one. He, Hilzoy, and all the rest are unfailingly brilliant (and have a great mascot).

3) Half the Sins of Mankind is the home-base of the prolific PG, someone who I've previously admitted an intellectual crush on. And the comment she writes, oh, the comments she writes! PG is one of the few bloggers who I consider to be more than just someone I read and who reads me. She is a genuine (if virtual) friend.

4) There are a cluster of feminist bloggers I read who all occupy a similar "niche" in my head, and it is well-nigh impossible to decide between them. But I will represent them with the great Feministe, which was probably the earliest I found and the one which has impacted my own thinking the most.

5) I was really wavering on the last one. But Lawyers, Guns, and Money has me consistently nodding along with nearly whatever they write. That's gotta be worth something.

This is obviously a truncated list of the many, many blogs I love and who deserve love. On a different day, and in a different hour, I'd probably write an entirely different list of five. All of these, however, rank to my mind as top-notch members of the blogosphere. And I am happy to give them my own minor seal of approval.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks David! We are most flattered -- and the award means quite a bit coming from you, as you're a writer I've long learned from and respected.

I'll post my own list later today.

nonsequitur said...

I just ran across your blog today--I would have included it in my list of thinking blogger awards. Nice work. Good look on the LSAT.

PG said...

Thanks for the compliments! I'll post my list sometime this weekend.

Kevin Andre Elliott said...

Damn that scotch. Now I want to know eight random things about you.