Monday, October 01, 2007

Hobbes

I've always been somewhat of a Thomas Hobbes fan. Not because I agree with the need for a Leviathan state, but because I think his description of the State of Nature is pretty accurate (certainly more so than John Locke's rose-tinted glasses). In fact, my vague recollection upon reading Leviathan is that I agreed with nearly everything he wrote, save the policy implications (which, of course, is what everybody remembers).

Hobbes just rose another notch in my book when I learned today that, in his book, he questioned whether the Bible Torah was authored by Moses. This, of course, is old hat to modern Biblical scholars, who don't even think the Bible was authored by one person, but in 1651 it was pretty baller, I'd imagine.

2 comments:

PG said...

I assume by "Bible" you mean the Torah?

David Schraub said...

Duh. Thanks.