Wednesday, April 09, 2008

The Joys of Youth

One of the great things about being young is that every once in awhile, an older person who you respect will write an incredibly adorable post about how they just discovered some new-fangled technology, and find it amazing. There's little that tops the smug sense of superiority I feel in those moments. It's a feeling born of love, and only lasts until I realize that said older person still is wiser and more successful than me in all the substantive areas I care about. But it's still nice to feel like I'm winning a round in life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, now I'm really embarrassed to admit I'd never heard about this service either -- but, geez, it's neat. Of course, I'm going to use the "I don't usually live in this country" excuse and vigorously deny that age has anything to do with it.

David Schraub said...

This is why it's good to have hip young friends like myself.

Jack said...

But the very hip are already way past pandora. Get with the times guys.

Anonymous said...

See, this is the thing about getting older: it changes your relationship to the concept of "satisficing." If something works well enough, and I've invested the time in learning it, why change for the sake of change? Granted, Pandora clearly thinks I'm a gay man, but (1) I'm secure in my gender and sexual identity, and (2) it's not like I *don't* like Bronksi Beat.