Saturday, May 03, 2008

Disassociation

In the wake of my mildly famous post on Black Conservatism, one of my professors from earlier this year (History of the Civil Rights Movement) invited me to give a presentation before his African-American History class this term. I was setting up a meeting with him to discuss plans for the class, and mentioned off hand that I would be attending the University of Chicago Law School next year. He looked at me and smiled, and noted that I'd be sharing institutional affiliation with Rev. Jeremiah Wright (who attended Chicago's Divinity School). I laughed and said, "guess I can never run for President then." (among other reasons).

Apropos of that, David Bernstein has a post up seeking stories of Obama's time as a constitutional law lecturer at the University of Chicago. "Waldensian" repsonds:
I took one of his classes, and I'm a bad person. Sadly, Obama still hasn't gone far enough in renouncing me and my views.

Sadly, a roughly accurate portrayal of how I fear this whole election cycle will progress.

1 comment:

Mark said...

He might have noted more notable institutional affiliations, like Edward Teller, Enrico Fermi, or Milton Friedman ... but ah well.