Thursday, August 14, 2008

Another Bite at the Accountability Apple

The Center for Constitutional Rights has announced that the 2nd Circuit will rehear the case of Maher Arar, a Canadian citizen who we sent off to be tortured for awhile in Syria. The court announced the rehearing sua sponte, that is, on its own initiative without any input from either party. This is exceedingly rare, and a good sign for Arar, who lost before a three-judge panel in his quest to hold somebody accountable for our flagrant violation of American and international law by way of torturing random innocents.

So best of luck to him. Also, fun fact! When I first read this story, I confused it with an entirely different case where we picked up some random guy and tortured him, who also tried unsuccessfully to get some accountability out of the government.

And that, my friends, is a statement I wish I never could say with regards to the United States of America.

No comments: