Saturday, September 12, 2009

Clijsters Advances to the Finals

So the much anticipated Kim Clijsters/Serena Williams was delayed, and delayed, and delayed. And when it finally does go off, I'm of course out of the house and miss the whole thing. I told my dad before the match three things: (1) Clijsters would have her hands full with Serena even when she was totally in her prime, so it's difficult for me to imagine that she could handle her coming off a two year layoff (not to mention a kid!), (2) but I could have said the same thing about her facing Venus Williams, and look how that turned out, and (3) it has been so long since Serena Williams has faced a serious challenge that she might be unprepared to face a woman who can actually run with her.

Well, the match ended ugly, but Clijsters remarkable comeback run continues, with a 6-4, 7-5 victory over the 2-seeded Williams. I hate that is overshadowed by Ms. Williams' meltdown, because this truly is an amazing accomplishment by one of my favorite players and a truly talented woman. I can't imagine that she won't have the crowd behind her as she attempts to complete one of the most improbable runs through the U.S. Open in tournament history.

1 comment:

aaroncrowe said...

That is terrible, why did she do that? I know it might have been a mistake, but com’on…