Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Paul's Folly

Ta-Nehisi Coates points out that, even taking Paul's excuses for his racist, bigoted, anti-Semitic, all-around-nutty "Ron Paul Newsletter" at complete face value, it still would be enough to render him unfit for the Oval Office: "You need not be a racist to be disqualified for the presidency; a truly stunning level of incompetence will do in a pinch."

On the other hand, my dad is actively rooting for Paul to win the Iowa Caucuses -- not because he supports Paul (lord no), but because, in his words, "it will sow chaos".

2 comments:

Marni Jane said...

Oh hell no, living in iowa, the cult of ron paul could not possibly be more insufferable. I can't imagine how godawful they'd be if he for some reason won the nomination.

troll_dc2 said...

I am all for chaos. I don't really want Paul to have the most support; I would be pleased if there were three or four contenders at over 20 percent. Anything that makes the Republicans look bad is fine with me (even though I had not been much of a partisan until the Tea Party Movement and its emanations made any other stance impossible).