It's that most wonderful time of the year -- New Year's Resolutions! The 2018 edition is here, and the entire series of prior years are collected here.
As always, we begin by seeing how we did last year.
Met: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 (steak farm reopened!), 12, 14, 15 (and how!).
Missed: 6 (but I should be doing something early 2019), 13 (I think?)
Pick 'em: 4 (definitely an improvement on last year, though!)
Damn, I sure am resolved -- and/or, am good at picking resolutions I feel confident I can meet!
Onward to 2019!
* * *
1) Have completed drafts of at least three dissertation chapters. (Missed -- unless you have a very generous definition of "completed")
2) Complete a draft of a political theory article (it's okay if it draws from a dissertation chapter, but it has to stand alone as an article). (Met!)
3) Attend a hockey game. (Pick 'em -- I might have attended a Sharks game, but I can't remember)
4) Have a permanent plan of attack regarding at least one of the following bodily ailments: knee pain, sore calves/shins when walking up hills, cholesterol deposits around the eyes, and/or cross-link surgery for keratoconus. (Pick 'em -- the cross-link surgery got hung up thanks to insurance-related incompetence, and I've stopped worrying about the eyes, but I'm in regular physical therapy for knees/shins/calves)
5) Do one Vegas trip with friends. (Missed)
6) Have one fantastic honeymoon in Hawaii. (Absolutely met!)
7) Read a political theory book (broadly defined) by an author whom you've never read before. (Met!)
8) Read a new political theory book (broadly defined) by an author whom you have read work from before. (Missed)
9) Publish an article in a non-Jewish "popular publication" or appear on a television segment. (Met -- The Atlantic)
10) Organize one visiting speaker somewhere at UC-Berkeley
11) Get over 2,500 Twitter followers (current count as of December 24, 2018: 2,298) (Met -- a year later I'm at 3,127, and that's with my account private!).
12) Add a new home-cooked meal to our regular rotation. (Met -- chicken and orzo!)
13) Find a new binge-able TV show (Met -- Lucifer!).
14) Host a Passover Seder (Met -- and it's the social event of the Berkeley season, if I say so myself!).
15) Put up the Mezuzah (Met!).