Thursday, July 28, 2016

God is in the Details

Hillary Clinton is the Democratic nominee, and I couldn't be happier. Her speech was quite good, even though it is tough for her to compete with legendary orators like Bill Clinton or Barack Obama. On that note, my sentiments were summed up perfectly by one of my law firm friends:
Look, Hillary does do the service part better than the public part.... But that's part of why I love her. Too many of our politicians do the reverse.
Where it matters, Hillary Clinton gets it done.

The fact is, politics isn't about the sweeping arc or the soaring speech. It is often "a victory of a hundred thousand inches"; the strong and sole boring through hard boards. It isn't always sexy, or high-profile, or headline-worthy. It isn't always even lovable. But each one of those inches matters to someone, and we should never sell short the commitment it takes to keep on shouldering that ball a little forward, day in and day out.

So if I was to pick the line in Clinton's speech that stuck with me -- the reason I'll pull the lever for Hillary Clinton not as the best of bad options, not because she's what we're stuck with, but with pride, optimism, and enthusiasm -- it's
Because it's not just a detail if it's your kid.

1 comment:

Nick said...

It's a good line, but it's not a flawless one -- particularly when a major critique of her candidacy is that in Benghazi she didn't sweat the details as SoS (which, to be clear, I think is far more than any Cabinet Secretary could do) and it did cost some mother her son.